We continuously solicit input on the features and product improvements that are most impactful to our customers’ development efforts.
What’s New In AccuRev 5.7
AccuRev Version 5.7 provides important new functionality and numerous improvements designed to unleash the power of software development teams to deliver superior results. Read about the exciting developments in AccuRev 5.7 here. Refer to the release notes for more details about these features and other enhancements.
New AccuRev GUI look and feelThe AccuRev GUI has benefitted from numerous incremental changes in recent releases (workspace coloration and rounded corners for streams in the StreamBrowser are just two examples). In AccuRev 5.7, the entire look and feel of the GUI has changed to enhance both usability and the overall user experience. Some of the highlights include:
- Larger toolbar buttons
- Enhanced tooltips
- Alternate-row coloration in tables (so called zebra or candy striping)
- Crisper, cleaner fonts throughout
- Preference to control tab layout One of the features of the new AccuRev GUI look and feel is scrolling tabs -- when you open more tabs than can be displayed in the AccuRev window, a scroll button appears to provide access to tabs that are not currently visible. If you prefer to have all tabs visible at the same time, you can set a preference that displays tabs in as many rows as needed. The default is to display tabs on a single row and add scrolling as needed.
- Preference for setting the width of streams In previous releases of AccuRev, the width of all stream icons in a column in the StreamBrowser was as wide as the longest stream name in that column. For example, the icon for stream ac_5.5_build would be as wide as stream ac_5.5_dev_workflow_itr4_doc_dfoster. Now you can set a preference on the StreamBrowser tab of the AccuRev Preferences dialog box that makes each stream only as wide as its name.
- Enhanced copy/paste of pathnames You can now copy field values in the Properties dialog box, and in the History Browser, Version Browser, Diff, and other views. For example, to copy the value of the Pathname field in the Properties dialog box, press and hold mouse button 1 and drag the pointer over the value you want to copy.
Features for resolving elements with (twin) statusAccuRev 5.7 introduces several new features and enhancements to help you resolve elements (directories and files) with a (twin) status.
The Twin Resolution Wizard guides you through the process of resolving an element’s twin status, providing options that allow you to:
- Keep one of the elements in conflict (the other is automatically defuncted), and optionally merge the content
Keep both of the elements in conflict (by renaming one of them)
The Twin Resolution Wizard is available from the File Browser, Change Palette, and the default group by choosing Use Wizard from the new Resolve Twin Status shortcut menu of any file with a (twin) status.
- Options that allow you to quickly defunct one of the versions in conflict are directly accessible from the new Resolve Twin Status menu.
- The Overlap and Deep Overlap search filters include elements with a (twin) status.
- The (twin) status is listed first in the Status column.
- Elements with (twin) status are highlighted in yellow in the File Browser, Change Palette, and default group.
Diff Against File in Other StreamAccuRev 5.7 introduces a new Diff operation, Diff Against File in Other Stream, which allows you to diff one file against the same file (or any other file you choose) in another stream.
Filters added to ACL, Depots, Reference Trees, Slices, and Workspaces viewsTable filtering, which was enhanced in AccuRev 5.5, has been added to several other views in the AccuRev GUI, as summarized in the following table:
|View||Filters By This Column|
|ACL tab (Security)||Resource|
Enhanced search capabilities in History Browser and Annotate viewSearch capabilities have been enhanced in the History Browser and Annotate view:
History Browser improvements:
- A Comments only check box allows you to restrict your search to the contents of the Comment column.
If you enter only integers in the Search field and the Comments only check box is cleared, AccuRev searches the Trans. Num column for the value you entered.
The Comments only check box is cleared by default. Searches are performed on all transactions associated with the currently selected element, regardless of whether or not they are currently displayed.
Annotate view improvements:
- Ctrl+F places the focus in the search field, allowing you to enter a search term using only the keyboard.
- The F3 and Enter keys move the focus to the next occurrence of the search term you enter.
- The search field has Previous and Next buttons that let you move from one occurrence of the search term to the next.
CLI options for add, files, and stat commandsAccuRev 5.7 introduces options for the add, files and stat commands to help you work with files that are explicitly ignored by AccuRev:
- -fi includes all files in the command, regardless of whether or not a file or directory matches a pattern in the .acignore file.
- -fI includes only those files and directories that match the patterns specified in the .acignore file.
- --ignore specifies a pattern of elements; external elements matching this pattern are ignored by the command.
License Type for usersYou can now specify a user’s license type in the AccuRev GUI. Valid values are Full (AccuRev, AccuWork, and Kando), AccuWork, and Kando Only. Note that options for the related mkuser and chuser CLI commands have changed accordingly.
Local, client-based Timestamp Optimization is the defaultIn previous releases, AccuRev used traditional, server-based Timestamp Optimization (TSO) as the default TSO algorithm. As of AccuRev 5.7, local, client-based TSO is the AccuRev system default.
Installer supports Windows 8AccuRev can now be installed on machines running the Windows 8 operating system.
What’s New In AccuRev 5.6
Support for streamlined client upgrades
AccuRev 5.5 laid the foundation for speeding AccuRev client upgrades in the enterprise. Starting with AccuRev 5.6, the AccuRev Installation Wizard provides the opportunity to download client-only installation packages to the AccuRev Server. Once the AccuRev Server has been upgraded to AccuRev 5.6, supported AccuRev 5.5 clients can upgrade to AccuRev 5.6 directly from the AccuRev GUI * or CLI (*accurev upgrade_client).
GUI support for stream properties
AccuRev added support for stream properties in the CLI in AccuRev 5.5. You can now create and manage stream properties through the AccuRev GUI. In addition, the getproperty command now returns the filename for properties whose value was specified as a file.
GUI support for EACLs
Element Access Control Lists (EACLs) are a set of permissions granting privileges to users for elements under AccuRev control. In previous releases, permissions could be set and managed only through the AccuRev CLI. You can now set and manage permissions using the GUI.
New Diff Against options for overlapped elements
AccuRev 5.6 introduces new Diff Against options to help you identify and resolve conflicts that result in an (overlap) status.
- Overlapping Changes > Mine diffs the workspace or stream version against the common ancestor in the backing stream. This option identifies the changes in the workspace or stream that did not come from the backing stream.
- Overlapping Changes > Theirs allows you to see only the changes added to the backing stream since the last time you merged with the backing stream. This option is useful for identifying the changes to the backing stream that caused the overlap condition.
You can now print tables in the AccuRev GUI.
Support for rich text in text fields
Text fields in the GUI can now be optionally configured to support rich text (bold and italic fonts, bulleted and ordered lists, and so on). In addition to properly rendering content formatted in HTML, when the rich text feature is enabled a toolbar is added to text fields allowing users to easily create and work with:
- Bold, italic, underlined, and colored text
- Ordered and bulleted lists
- Paragraph formatting
Rich text editing can be enabled on a per-field basis. If you add a new text field to your schema, rich text editing support is enabled by default.
64-bit AccuRev versions available for Solaris
AccuRev now offers 64-bit versions of AccuRev Server and AccuRev Client on both Sparc and x86 platforms, providing enterprise-class scalability.
Improved AccuBridge for Atlassian Crucible
Iterative reviews in Crucible are now supported through the AccuBridge for Crucible.
In addition to logging on the AccuRev Server, AccuRev now supports logging on the AccuRev Client.
New -u option for show command
A new option for the show … groups command, -u , shows the groups to which a user belongs. See the CLI help or AccuRev CLI User’s Guide for more information.
Accelerator keys for common operations
Accelerator keys have been added for many common and frequently performed operations like promote *and update *(Ctlr+U).
What’s New In AccuRev 5.5
User Interface and Ease of Use Enhancements:
- Stream Favorites are an easy and intuitive way to create and manage filters on streams. Stream Favorites can be shared with other users and groups in your AccuRev depot.
- Simplified, more intuitive layout for frequently performed operations like Update and Search.
- A displayed “count” of the number of elements returned by a workspace search.
- Support for Ctrl+x, Ctrl+c, Ctrl+v shortcut keys for Cut, Copy, and Paste operations.
- Streamlined promote procedure allows you to first select issues and then enter a comment when change packages are enabled.
- The ability to navigate the StreamBrowser by dragging the background; this feature is also supported in the Version Browser.
- Features to help distinguish workspaces from other streams.
- The display of workflow rules that have been set for a stream.
- The display of Kando™ information for AccuRev streams that are backed by a Git repository.
- The ability to display third-party ITS keys, AccuWork issue keys, both, or neither, in the History Browser.
- Dramatic improvement in performance between master and replica. A new setting on replica servers lets you specify whether or not to use data compression to tune performance on low bandwidth networks.
Administration and Installation:
- A new command, upgrade_client, that will allow users of AccuRev 5.5x and later to download and install the latest AccuRev client software directly from an upgraded AccuRev server.
- New commands to help you create and manage properties on users, groups, and streams —setproperty, getproperty, and rmproperty. The show command has a new option that allows you to display properties for users, groups, and streams.
- A new readonly privilege for the eacl command that prevents the user from modifying the element or its ACL during add, keep, move, defunct, and revert commands.